Click here to view the City Administrative Services page on utility-related services and Billing.

Do you need your water shut off or turned on? 

You can now submit water turn-on/turn-off requests to the City via a new online portal! The City has developed an online form where you can submit your water shut-off or turn-on request, pay simultaneously using a card or checking account (e-check), and specify your preferred date and time. A Public Works employee will then call you to confirm your appointment. Your utility account number is required on the form. If you don't know your account number, please call (970) 325-7211, or you can find it by logging into Xpress Bill Pay. A small service fee will be applied.

If digital forms aren't your thing, don't worry, we are still accepting paper forms as well. If you have any problems with the portal, please report them to the administrative staff at City Hall as this is a new process. 

Online Water Turn-on or Shut-off Request & Payment Portal


Water Turn On/Off Policy

Water Quality & Water Efficiency Reports 

Utility Management, Connection & Distribution

 The Public Works Department is responsible for managing water distribution, treatment, and connection to City utilities.

Backflow Prevention Program
The Building Inspector is responsible for managing backflow/cross-connection control provisions per CDPHE requirements.