Code Enforcement


Code Enforcement

Most code enforcement cases are processed with the Community Development Department. The City's Code Enforcement Policy helps maintain the City of Ouray's character as a healthy, safe, clean, and attractive place to live and work. City Staff work with residents to improve and maintain the quality of life in their neighborhoods, as well as maintain property values and public health. 

Our community is the environment in which we live, work, and raise our families.  Blight and nuisances can devalue, detract and degrade the quality of any community.  The City has adopted codes which govern the use and maintenance of private property in an effort to recognize the importance of protecting the home environment. While many of the City's codes deal with private residential property, there are codes to regulate the condition of commercial properties as well. 

The Department aims to address code enforcement cases appropriately and efficiently and knows no two cases are alike. There are some community problems that do not qualify as a code enforcement case.  In general, code enforcement may act on behalf of the public at large – not to take action on behalf of one citizen against another. Also code enforcement cannot enforce CC&R's (Covenants, Codes & Restrictions).  CC&R's should be enforced through a neighborhood homeowners association, or a civil suit may be filed.

Take a look at your property. Make sure you don't have any hazards or potential violations such as: weeds, garbage, graffiti, litter, junk, debris, illegal signs, discarded furniture, discarded appliances, unsafe or neglected structures, or inoperative vehicles.

If a violation has occurred, the Code Enforcement Officer will try to resolve it first through voluntary compliance.  If this approach fails, the officer may begin formal civil and/or criminal enforcement proceedings. The code enforcement officer will adhere to code enforcement policies, as adopted by the City Council from time to time. 

City of Ouray Code Enforcement Policy
(adopted via Resolution No. 10, Series 2013).

Report a Code Enforcement Problem

To report a potential Code Enforcement problem, contact the BUILDING INSPECTOR.

Please Note:
  • Staff may need to contact you for additional information if necessary.
  • The address of the violation: If the property is vacant, provide the address of the property that is closest to the problem. Please be as specific as possible.
  • State the nature of the violation: If the violation occurs on a particular day or at a particular time, indicate the days and times when the violation is most likely to occur.